I’ve had the car for few months now was was itching to get modding. As winter is on our door steo i thought the best mod to do right now to get the project under way is to get the the audio system upgraded as the car came with the basic speaker system, which is pants especially has the car has all the media options and car has no tweeters!!! :o(
I wanted to go for a nice clean sounding system. The Alpine upgrade is a very good option, but i wanted to go for something a little bit extra so that I would not be disappointed with the end product. I spoke to David from Safe’N’Sound a few times and after doing a bit more research we came up with a good all round system:
Components Focal K2 power KRS100
Subs 2 x Earthquake SWS-8
Audison SR4 amplifer
Audison BIT10 digital sound processor
First of all, the door cards came off! and the OEM window trim so that it could be replace with a new trim that contained housing for the new focal tweeters.
After removing the door cards you could see how little room there is behind it to fit a speakers. It was a good choice going for the slimline Focals.
Now it was time to get to work. We went through a few different mounting ideas but as the space is so limited we decided to use the Focal speaker mounts and modify it in order to mount the speaker in reverse on it. That way the speaker will be sitting as close to the door card possible as the focal has more depth then the OEM speaker.
OEM vs Focal
Modifying focal housing to allow for mounting to OEM locations and allow to reverse mount focal speaker
Component speaker is sealed using dynamat, crossovers mounted to door card and wired up. David did a great job keeping all the wiring neat and tidy. Tweeters were also mounted inside the new OEM door trim.
Door cards back on and Focals looking very tidy behind the grilles.
Now it was time to get working on the subs under the front driver and passenger seats. First job was to unbolt the front seats so that they could be leaned back to make room to get to the subs.
OEM 6″ subs out and new SWS-8 to be used as replacements. The subs were mounted using speaker spacers made by a member on E90post. The spacers fitted great and there was not need to do any modding to the mounting location or subs in order to make them fit!!! :0) Also the spacer for the OEM grille also some additional room for the increased displacement of SWS-8’s.
David then finished off the wiring and neatly routed all the new wiring into the boot to hook up to the Bit10 and SR4 amplifier.
The Bit10 and SR4 were hooked up and wiring as usual kept very tidy by David.
Next the system was turned on and David hooked up the laptop to the Bit10 in order to de-equalise the signal from the headunit and to yield a clean true digital output.
Boot floor put back in and the boot has maintained all of it use and now the audio sounds 10x better than the OEM setup. The sound from the Focals is so clear and crisp and the SWS-8s give the low end a lovely kick! I can’t thank David enough. He took extreme care with the car interior, wiring and the new goodies going in.
I would highly recommend his services and will definitely be using him again for future CPD audio/visual installs!!